Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Note to Naomi



I realize that I have pissed a lot of you off because I was very frank in my assessment of Saint, oops, I meant Senator Shapleigh.

I have challenged a lot of people on something and no one has been able to meet the challenge. The challenge is this: identify a platform or policy stance from Naomi Gonzalez.

Go ahead, take all the time you need.

I'll wait.

Can't think of one?

Try her website.

Go ahead, I'll wait here and tap my toes while you look for one.

Done yet?

It's okay, I have all day, I can wait...

Seriously, keep looking.

Can't find one can you?

Neither could I.

Thats because she doesn't have one.

This is the closest thing I could find to a platform or policy stance. Its from her website:

Restore public integrity to our State Representative Office.
Hold the line on property taxes.
Put El Paso first in the push for state funding.

There is a mailer that says the words "New Vision. New Leadership". At the risk of sounding like New Hector, I have to ask the question, just what exactly does that new vision look like?

This is the major weakness of the Gonzalez campaign. There is no substance to her campaign.

Now look, I get it. There are a lot of you that don't like Chavez because, well she can be a big pain in the ass to work with.

I get it.

But in your fervor to get rid of Chavez because of her personality flaws, ask yourself a serious question. Do you even know what Naomi stands for? Do you even know what her policies are?

If so, please pass them on to the rest of us because we'd sure like to hear them.

I know what you are thinking, LionStar likes Norma so thats why he's writing this stuff. A fair critique. But hey, don't take my word for it, look for yourself. This link is to all the mailers Gonzalez sent out. Do you see a platform anywhere?

I mean other than saying Norma is bad and she's not Norma, what is she all about?

Like I said, don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

Surely Naomi Gonzalez has a plan right? I'm not entirely sure she does.

Gonzalez has ducked and dodged anyone that will ask her a meaningful question. We have a responsibility to vet her candidacy before sending her to Austin. Just not being Norma isn't enough. We might find ourselves with a severe case of be careful what you wish for.

I think I understand why she only goes on ground of her choosing. If you remember back to the last time she ran, she went on talk radio and it was a bad experience for her. She was asked a basic question and bombed it on air.

Flash forward to this election and it was more of the same. I was able to get one 2 minute interview with her and I asked her a very basic question that ANY candidate should be able to answer, though several have had a problem with it. I asked her if she was elected what would be the first meaningful piece of legislation she would introduce. After fumbling around for an answer she came up with making Alameda a historic district.

Naomi has ignored repeated requests for interviews. In my opinion she, much like Theresa Caballero, seems to be focusing on negative campaigning, but hasn't given the voters any insight in to her positions.

There may be a couple of reasons why. Either she doesn't have any, which is something she wouldn't want revealed, or they are similar to her opponent, which would make the entire debate about personality and not substance...something else she isn't likely to want to be revealed.

She doesn't want to put herself in a position where someone exposes that liability of the fact that she doesn't have a strong position on issues.

Gonzalez has been and will continue to be the darling of mainstream media. That's why she's gotten a pass on the contributions from TLR. But replace TLR with a person. If 90% of contribitions came from a person, just how up in arms would the mainstream media be? Wouldn't people think she was indebted to that benefactor?

Gonzalez once asked me at a Halloween party last year if I was "bought and paid for by Norma Chavez." I guess that real question now is this. Naomi, are you bought and paid for by the Republican controlled TLR?
Ask yourself something. Is there a single elected official in this town that we can be proud of that won based on negative campaigning alone?

If this election were about ideas and vision and who has the better plan, and if the constituents evaluated the plans of both candidates and chose to replace Chavez, then I would be in support of the electorate.

We deserve to elect people in this town because they have the best ideas, not because they are the best negative campaigners.

If they want to "make us proud" to be our state rep, then they should make us proud in their campaign conduct and in their ideas for El Paso.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What district do you live in Jamie? I also think people post as anonymous because it is difficult to get the name posted. Why can't we just post our names by type?

Jake9415

Anonymous said...

Why is there an approval needed if you "don't censor anyone"???

Jake9415

The Lion Star said...

As you can see Jake9415, you can post your name in a comment and it gets approved.

The reason there is an approval process is twofold. One, it really cuts down on drive-by comments that are not meant to engage in discussion or debate, but rather to just lob grenades at someone.

The other reason is that it helps me keep a lid on spammers.

Anonymous said...

Cool man, Thanks for explanation. You did not answer the district question...

Jake9415

The Lion Star said...

HD 75

Anonymous said...

Go to refusethejuice and you will see Naomi Gonzalez platform. Go to the posting right under/below Jaime Jaime Jaime.