Thursday, October 25, 2012

Guest Post: I Found Where I Belong

By Alexander Mckibbon


I've been into politics since I was 9 years old. During the Bush years, I considered myself a democrat. I was against the "PATRIOT" act, torture, the Iraqi War and a lot of other crap that went on during his tenure in office. I have always been for marriage equality, fiscal conservatism and a woman's right to choose.

At the start of the 2008 campaign, I supported Barack Obama right from the start. I remembered his keynote speech at the 2004 convention and his name stuck in my head ever since. When he delcared his candidacy in Springfield, I was so stoked! As the campaign progressed, I became more and more convinced that this was the guy that would return America back to her greatness and restore her image around the world. I remember thinking "Why are the republicans even trying?"

When Obama got the democratic nomination, I remember I went outside and starting screaming his name with my friend Stephanie. I held signs and spoke to others on behalf of his campaign. Even though I wasn't old enough to vote at the time, I was determined to do everything I could to ensure Barack Obama be elected the 44th President. 

November 4, 2008. Barack Obama was elected. I remember sitting in front of the tv and watching people's reactions here in america but what stuck with me the most was the reactions and celebrations around the world. It was refreshing to see people celebrate america rather than protest against her.

A few months into his current term, I began to lost enthusiasm for our new President. I wasn't seeing the change he promised. I saw no hope for the future. The economy showed no signs of recovery after the $787 billion stimulus was put into place. It was a huge waste of money. I saw much more partisanship. After much deliberation and personal reflection, I decided to give the Republican party a try.

For the 2010 midterms, I held signs for republican candidates for office. I met some awesome people that day. As we know, republicans swept many races across the country. The Tea Party was the driving force behind it all. 

In January, I got a call from Russell Booth, Dee Margo's district director. He offered me an intern position and without any thought I accepted. I had always wanted to work in politics. But I never thought I would be doing it at the age of 18. It was awesome. My official title was District Aide. I learned a lot of important things and met some important people.

Come 2011, the Presidential campaign slowly but surely started to kick off. I was unsure of all the candidates at the time. Cain, Pawlenty, Santorum, Johnson and Paul participated in the first GOP debate. I didn't know who to support. Then came Governor Rick Perry. I signed up to volunteer for his campaign right away. 

Every time I watched a debate, I was wary of Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. I was convinced that their ideas would be the undoing of the nation. Instead of letting the RNC think for me, I decided to do some research. What I came to realize shocked me. Boy was I wrong!

I came to realize that both parties are basically the same thing. Both support more war, more spending and less freedom. The only difference now was the party in control. It shouldn't matter what party you're in, the constitution is the constitution! 

Both parties are at fault for the deterioration of our country. I find it hilarious when one party tries to blame the other for our current situation. The facts are there, you just have to look for them.

I got a lot of criticism for becoming a "Paultard" but I'm proud I did it. Ron Paul helped me realized the truth. Being a part of the R3volution means something. It means more than any political party could ever hope.

People keep saying that come the end of Dr. Paul's term come next year, all this "hype" will die. WRONG. Ron Paul has always said that the R3volution has always been about more than just him, it's about the ideals that will make america great again. Being part of the R3volution means more than any political party, even the Libertarian party.

Now that I have awoken and I know the truth, I will do everything i can to further the ideals that will make america awesome again. I have never felt more comfortable with my political identity. I've finally found where I should be. I'm a Libertarian.

4 comments:

Jay Koester said...

Nice piece, Alexander. In the end, though, I see too many differences between the two main parties to believe "they are all the same." I also don't buy for a minute that both Democrats and Republicans support "more war, more spending and less freedom." It doesn't escape me that you provide no examples.

But I applaud your participation in the political process. I'm guessing and hoping that as you continue to learn and grow, you'll find your way back to a party that stands for something more substantial.

Jude Eio said...

I agree with Jay about eventually finding your way back to something substantial as opposed to the 'freedom pony' party of Libertarians... I mean I guess Alexander is now 22 so he has had alot of real world experience to base his opinion on.... errrr.....

I mean the Cult leaders and followers tend to believe they belong to something bigger ...even bigger than themselves...

Alex Perales said...

Jay here are some examples.

More War- I'm not quite sure what examples you want. Iraq, Yemen, Africa, Libya, Syria, and probably soon to be Iran. Both parties have no problem murdering innocent people in the name of spreading democracy and policing the world.

More Spending- Again this is obvious. Both parties have no problem stealing from citizens to fund bailouts. More war equal more spending. It's not a matter of who spends more, just a matter of where is it going to be spent.

Less freedom- PATRIOT Act signed under the past administration and continued under this administration. NDAA, obamacare, TSA...

What stance worth having is more substantial then being free people?

Jude, great ad hominem!

It seems to me those that still believe in our two party system are part of a cult. Believing blindly what they're told.

Sorry that I'm not sorry for wanting to be a free person.

Jay Koester said...

Saw this today and thought it was good reading on the topic: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/31/1152150/-Handy-candidate-comparison-chart