Name: Steve Ortega
Hometown: El Paso, TX
Education: Eastwood Heights Elementary, Desert View Middle School, Cathedral High School, B.A., Government - University of Texas at Austin, B.A., Sociology - University of Texas at Austin, J.D. - The George Washington University
Military Service (Please indicate branch, years of service, rank achieved, and military occupational speciality): None
Occupation: City Representative, Attorney
Professional Experience: Education, Law
Community Involvement: Big Brothers Big Sisters of El Paso - mentor, YMCA - basketball coach, Metropolitan Planning Organization - chairman, Regional Ports of Entry Advisory Board - chairman, El Paso Crime Victims' Memorial Committee - organizer, Mayor' s Congresso on Immigration Reform - co-organizer, Juarez Displaced Journalists Fundraiser - co-organizer, Miner Orangeville - co-organizer, Jose Rodriguez Campaign for County Attorney - campaign manager, El Paso History Museum Mayors' Oral History Project, 65th District Court Ad Litem Advisory Committee
Though its a non-partisan race, please indicate your general political persuasion:
What are your priority issues for the district?:
1) creating a competitive regional environment for quality job growth,
2) aggressively support efforts at the Medical Center of the Americas, Ft. Bliss, and reducing wait times at our int'l bridges, and
3) ensuring proper implementation of the bond projects.
What are the first three acts you would undertake as a member of Council?:
1) meet with each council member to discuss and understand their goals and concerns,
2) work with business/neighborhood leadership, our congressman, and state/county leaders to create a formal and unified El Paso agenda to continue moving El Paso forward, and
3) schedule monthly constituent meetings around the community to get regular constituent input and feedback.
How often have you voted in elections in El Paso? (going back ten years):
I believe I have voted in all local, state, and national elections over the past ten years.