Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mike Torres - Homeboy of the Month

I know a lot of attorneys in El Paso. I like most of them and there are a few that I really respect and admire not only as practitioners of the law but as individuals.

Mike Torres is one of those guys. He's a real Chicano. If you don't know what I mean by that, you wouldn't understand if I explained it anyway. But he is.

A kid from Canuts (Canutillo) who went off and made something of himself. A man of many talents and a wealth of knowledge on any manner of issues, Torres is the kind of guy that can hold court with the best of 'em and is at the same time, as down to earth as any vato loco from Canutillo.

He's is, as they say in the neighborhood, 'a toda madre.

I first met Judge Torres back in 2008 at the Texas Democratic Convention. He was the guy who was part of the effort to ensure the Obama delegation had the proper amount of delegates at the convention. I didn't know who he was at first, I just knew he was a cool vato to drink with a play cards with in the back of the bus on the way to Austin.

Then I found out he was an attorney. He was a lawyer who could've flown in and out of Austin like all the other big shots did. But he rode the bus. Over and back. And he kept everyone on the bus entertained with jokes, stories, and knowledge about a range of stuff not seen since Cliff Clavin from Cheers.

There has been talk about Torres being a candidate for House District 77 and there are a whole lot of us sad to see that he is out of the running for that position now, but we couldn't be happier and prouder for him on his appointment as a Magistrate Judge.

He's not just my homeboy, he's a compa'.

So its high time I awarded a Homeboy of the Month Award.

Felicidades Mike.  Te aventaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is a privilege. If you write something bad, at least have the huevos to put your name you cowards. Comments without a name will not be approved. Say what you want, but at least own it! NOTE: "Anonymous" postings, or postings without a name within the comment, will not be approved, even if they are harmless.