Monday, December 3, 2012

Bob Costas - The Intersection of Politics and Sports

Frankly the minute I heard Bob Costas speak I knew exactly what the outcome was going to be from the right. I knew that they would freak the hell out and take it as an assault against gun rights.

Funny thing is, I never heard Bob Costas speak last night, I didn't hear one thing from him about repealing the 2nd Amendment.

There's a reason why I never heard anything about the 2nd Amendment...because thats not what he said. It was less than 2 minutes of airtime and yet the right is crapping themselves like Costas jumped up and issued some sort of communist manifesto.

He simply paraphrased what someone else said. That if the vato from the Chiefs didn't have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive. Which sucks because it would still mean he plays for the Chiefs, but thats a whole other conversation.

I don't think our guns should be taken away. I don't think our rights to protect our homes and selves should be eroded.

But I also don't by stupid bumper sticker politics. I hate phrases like "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Its ignorant.

Wanna know how stupid it sounds? Replace guns with other things and you'll see what I mean.

Toasters don't toast bread, people toast bread.

Comales don't make tortillas, people make tortillas.

Etc, etc, etc.

Gun rights should be protected. But so should society.

So yes, guns don't kills people, people kill people.

But people without guns, don't shoot other people.

Chill out people. He's not coming after your guns. People asking for responsible laws governing firearms aren't the devil. They just believe in common sense.

2 comments:

Mark Ortega said...

The political right can be counted on to throw a fit over anti-gun language, but you can also count on the left to defend such unconstitutional talk as "common sense."

Anonymous said...

Because a big dude like that cant just choke someone to death or hang himself..cut off his arms.