Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ethics & Council Meeting Today

I'm excited to see today's council meeting because I'm part of a pool trying to guess the over/under on how quickly the ethics and contacting department heads item gets deleted.

I was pretty excited to see if there would be talk about just exactly how those roads got paved in Larry Romero's districts

Since "text-gate" it's now common knowledge that its kind of a thing for me to use Matt MacElroy in movie spoof posts so with apologies in advance - I can imagine the meeting going down like the end of A Few Good Men. You know, the you-can't-handle-the-truth scene.

I imagine MacElroy playing Tom Cruise and questioning some unidentified city staffer that has been thrown under the bus by city council (because that's how it always works).

Staffer: You snotty little bastard.

McElroy: I'd like an answer to the question Mayor.

Mayor Leeser: The Council will wait for an answer.

McElroy: If Lt. Romero gave an order that the alley wasn't to be paved, then why did it get paved? Colonel? Lt. Romero ordered the road paved because that's what you told him you'd do, YOU DOCTORED THE CIP, YOU COERCED THE ROAD CREW,  - DID YOU ORDER THE ROAD PAVED?

Mayor Leeser: You don't have to answer that question!

Staffer: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

MacElroy: I think I'm entitled to them.

Staffer: YOU WANT ANSWERS?

McElroy: I WANT THE TRUTH!

Staffer: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! Son we live in a world with roads. And those roads need to be paved by crews with equipment. Who's gonna do it? You? You Lt. MacElroy? I have a greater responsibility than you can even imagine. You weep for roads in the valley and you curse the city staff. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.

That those streets in the valley that were skipped while tragic, probably saved the Pershing Inn. And my existence, while grotesque to you, gets alleys paved. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me paving roads, you need me paving roads.

We use words like ROW, grating, and potholes. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent building something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who comes and goes on the blacktop blanket that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a shovel and fill some potholes, either way I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE ENTITLED TO!

MacElroy: Did you order the alley paved?

Staffer: I did the job I was -

MacElroy: DID YOU ORDER THE ALLEY PAVED???

Staffer: You're God-damn right I did!

At least that's how it would go down in my head. Yes, I watch too many war movies. Its a problem.

No comments: