Thursday, April 27, 2017

Trustee Tells Tall Tale

You can do a lot of things in politics and get a way with it.

But one thing you can't do is get caught telling a story that simply isn't true. My favorite YISD trustee Ana Dueñez appears to have lied to the El Paso Times in a recent questionnaire.

The Times sent out questions to candidates as part of their endorsement process. The Times published the answers the various candidates gave to the questions and I found one particularly note worthy.

Here's a screenshot of the portion of the Times article I'm referring to. As you can see, its a very clearly worded question that asks specific questions of a candidate.



As you can see in Dueñez's response underlined in blue, she sorta diverts the answer to the arrest question and doesn't deal with it directly. No big deal, I've been arrested so I'm not gonna point he finger at her.

But its the second part of her answer that is troubling. The question is very specific as to whether the candidate has ever been in arrears on local, state, or federal taxes and gives her the opportunity to explain.

"If there was an issue I would not be on the Central Appraisal District Board of Directors" was the answer she gave.

But there actually is an issue.

She is behind in her taxes.

She's on a payment plan to catch up.

I don't know how else to characterize her statement to the El Paso Times other than, in my opinion she flat out lied to the paper about her taxes.

I know, I know, I should be able to prove it right? Okay, how about her own admission that she is behind? Here is video from a YISD board meeting a couple years back were her arrearage in taxes became an issue. Granted, it was from a group that was in the majority at the time that were upset that there were more transparency policies being proposed at the district and they created this agenda item to embarrass her, but the reality is it exposed the fact that Dueñez does have that issue.

At one point Dueñez was behind a pretty significant amount and had actually paid it down to the amount mentioned in the video.

No comments: